Monday, April 2, 2012

Poetry Writing Checklist and Guidelines


Poets of all ages often need guidance in looking at their own work critically. A checklist or guidelines can be helpful in developing skill in revising one’s own writing. No single list is perfect, nor is each step necessary every time, but such checklists can be a good tool. Here are two examples designed especially for developing young writers.



The list begins:

1. Have I written from one point of view?
2. Have I narrowed the focus?
3. Have I defined all of my opinion words?
4. Have I double-checked the basics (like subject-verb agreement, verb tense, spelling)?
5. Have I worked to get the trite out (of over-used words and phrases)?


For more details, get your copy of The Poetry Teacher’s Book of Lists.
And if you already have the book and would like to offer additions, corrections, or other input, please do so in the COMMENTS area. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment