In our role as adults, we set the stage and take the lead in creating a poetry-friendly environment. Here are tips for preparing yourself to be an effective poetry advocate and poetry practitioner.
The list begins:
- Search for poetry—starting today. Look for anything that appeals to you.
- Collect poems, posters, poetry books related to upcoming activities. Keep them close at hand and display them.
- Watch for opportunities to use poetry related to any topic on any occasion.
- Memorize some of your favorite poems—even just a line or two that grabs you. “Keep a poem in your pocket” for special moments.
- Create displays, including poem and poetry book collections (or bibliographies) for topics that are often the subject of study.
For more details, get your copy of The Poetry Teacher’s Book of Lists.
And if you already have the book and would like to offer additions, corrections, or other input, please do so in the COMMENTS area. Thanks!